The aim of the study was to provide a clear understanding of the extent of current provision and identify interventions that would increase participation amongst local residents.
The needs assessment covered the Borough as a whole but had a particular focus on the wards of Kentish Town, Kilburn, Kings Cross and St Pancras and Somers Town. Residents living in these wards suffer the worst life expectancy and are amongst those with the lowest levels of regular participation in sport and physical activity.
4 Key areas explored as part of the study included:
• relevant policy, research and guidelines at a local, regional and national level
• demographic, health and participation profile of the local population
• barriers to participation
• current service provision and future needs
• adequacy of current indoor and outdoor facility provision