Back to dataset

Bristol MonumentsBristol Historic Environment Record (HER) Monuments dataset

You're previewing the first 4 rows of this file.

Download this file
278M The White Lion, St. Thomas Street 359,159 172,757 Inn PM1 Post-medieval 1540-1700 Not set Not set Gabled front 0 Commercial Inn Inn 33-49, Victoria Street 38964 The White Lion Inn, located on the eastern side of St. Thomas Street. The building was a gabled, jettied house of three storeys and attic with a one-window range and a rusticated quoin against the house to the south. The main entrance was on the north side of the west-facing elevation and had a porch supported on bracket. There was a seventeenth-century style post; the figure of a lion above ground-floor bay. The fenestration of the upper floors consisted of bays containing sashes at the first- and second-floors levels, while there was a sash at third-floor.
339M House on the west side of Pithay 358,957 173,177 House PM1 Post-medieval 1540-1700 Not set Not set Gabled front 0 Domestic Dwelling House The Pithay 35300 House located west side of Pithay, below All Saints Street. Two doors up from "The Bell" public house. The building was a jettied, gabled house of three storeys and attic and it was probably constructed in the seventeenth century. 1-window range; first and second floors jettied; gabled front. Ground-floor not visible; oriel to first-floor, large cross-window to front; full-height bay or oriel, transomed with 6 lights to front, 2 each to sides, second-floor; attic window. Lateral stack on north side near front.
1670M The Swan, Mary le Port Street 359,013 173,066 Inn Med Medieval 1200-1540 1730 Not set Not set 0 Commercial Inn Inn Castle Park 38873 The Swan, located on the north side of Mary le Port Street. An inn named "le Swan" had been established on the site by 1463. It was leased to George Grey (who had leased the Three Cups in Wine Street from St. James Priory) by Nicholas Willyams, tailor, later a mayor of Bristol (in 1564) (Leech 1997, 102). Williams bequeathed the leases and interest of "the tenement called "the Swanne"" to his wife Joan in his will of 1 September 1565, and the building was then recorded still to be in the tenure of George Graye (Wadley 1886, 225). The property had been acquired by the foeffees of Trinity Hospital in Old Market by 1581. It remained an inn, however, throughout. The form of the building before the seventeenth century is unknown. However, a lane ran through the site between Mary le Port Street and Wine Street by 1615. An inventory of the property of the tenant Thomas Collier made in October 1647 recorded that the inn had eleven bedrooms, as well as two halls, the "Upper Hawll" and the "Lower Hawll", kitchen and hayloft (George & George 2002, 159-162). By 1670 the inn was known as the "White Swan." The property was subsequently acquired by the Bristol Corporation which sold it in 1730. The building was then demolished to allow the construction of "a Market Place for corn in Wine Street" (Leech 1997, 103) and this later became the Cheese Market.
1672M 1, Bellevue 357,636 172,832 House PM2 Post-medieval 1700-1900 1792 Not set Not set Mansard 1 Domestic Dwelling House 1, Bellevue II 901-1/41/6 38909 No.1, Bellevue. The building is the southernmost of a terrace of nineteen houses. The plot, formerly part of the grounds associated with Clifton Hill House, was leased from the Society of Merchant Venturers by Harry Elderton in 1792 for a term of forty years (Ison 1952, 234). Construction of the terrace began under the supervision of William Paty (Priest 2003, 101) but was abandoned in 1793 when the outbreak of war caused a slump in development. The buildings remained uncompleted for nearly two decades but the terrace had apparently been completed by 1815. The building is a rendered three-storey house with attic and basement. It has a slate mansard roof. A raised walk on the east side of the building extends the full length of the terrace. The building has a Grade II listing (Listed Building number 901-1/41/6).