The 2005 Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure (NIMDM 2005) contains seven domains of deprivation:
• Income Deprivation
• Employment Deprivation
• Health Deprivation and Disability
• Education, Skills and Training Deprivation
• Proximity to Services Deprivation
• Living Environment Deprivation
• Crime and Disorder Indicators.
Each domain contains a number of indicators, totalling 43 overall. Where possible, the indicators relate to 2003.
The criteria for inclusion of these indicators were that they should be:
• ‘domain specific’ and appropriate for the purpose (as direct as possible measures of that form of deprivation);
• measuring major features of that deprivation (not conditions just experienced by a very small number of people or areas);
• capable of being updated on a regular basis;
• statistically robust; and
• available for the whole of Northern Ireland at a small area level in a consistent form.
Results are provided for these domains and the overall multiple deprivation measure in the form of ranks. Areas are ordered from most deprived (rank 1) to least deprived.